Tuesday, November 28, 2023

New Book : Asparagus Opera-A Chinese Family in the San Fernando Valley

My Auntie Soo Yin and I have been collaborating  on a new book about our family.  It is based on an unpublished memoir that she wrote over 20 years ago and includes new information and research from the blog. Although a work of non fiction , my Auntie's beautiful and lyrical writing style gives the book the feel of a novel. 

Here is a description of the book

Asparagus Opera is a heartfelt memoir of a multigenerational Chinese farming family that spans the late 19th century to the 20th centuy and follows the family as the story moves from China , to the Napa Valley in California , to Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley, and then to Mexico. It is narrated by Soo Yin Jue whose grandfather emigrated to America from Guandong province in China in 1874 and follows his life story as well as the story of her father who was born in China and emigrated to America at age 13 in 1918. It is also a lyrical and moving portrait of the memories of a young girl growing up on an active busy, multi ethnic, family asparagus farm in the San Fernando Valley and her search for understanding the sources of inter and intragenerational conflict and drama in her family.

Here is my editor's afterword from the book:

My Auntie Soo-Yin is the youngest of my father’s sisters. She and I are only eight years apart in age but a generation apart in our respective roles in our family’s story. More than twenty years ago my aunt gave her nieces and nephews the gift of a long sprawling unedited first draft of the story of our family . The story captivated me then and has continued to hold me in its spell all these years. I began researching and contributing more detail to our family’s story in America and created an internet blog where I collected oral history, photos, poetry, art, film clips and documents from other members of our extended clan. It has always been my dream to work with my Auntie Soo Yin and to bring her heartfelt memoir of our family to a wider audience. She is a wonderful and gifted storyteller with a unique voice and we  have spent many hours writing and talking about the details of the story you have just read. I hope you have enjoyed it as much as I. 

Jack Jue Jr. 2023


Here is the Amazon link to our book. It has an extended sample of the book including the introduction , first chapter, and part of the second chapter in the Kindle sample . The book is available both as a Kindle e book as well as a paperback.

No comments:

Post a Comment