Saturday, September 26, 2020

Jue Joe and Otto Brant - An Unusual Friendship

 Today  I was invited to give a talk on the friendship between Jue Joe and Otto Brant at the Museum of the San Fernando Valley.   For those unable to attend here is the you tube video of my talk.



One of the fascinating stories in the Jue Joe saga is his friendship with Otto Brant. How does a poor illiterate Chinese man who is a houseboy on a wheat ranch, meet up with and become fast friends with a wealthy Title insurance president? There is ample documentation in real estate deeds and family oral history that Otto and Jue Joe were associates and friends but why or how that friendship developed is something I did not understand. My talk concerns the research I have done and some of the answers about that very special and unusual friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment